Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Graduation card with Louise

Good morning, Quick Quotes readers. I'm up on the Quick Quotes blog today with a tri-fold graduation card I made for my son. He will be graduating from middle school this year.  This card is made from the reverse sides of several papers in the new Secret Garden collection. The moment I saw these chevron patterns, I knew they would be perfect for my teenage sons. I love collections like this where the colors and patterns can be used for both masculine and feminine projects.





All the sentiments and sayings on this card come from the Farmhouse 500 paper. Many of the sayings on this paper are perfect for 8th grade graduation and the colors matched well with the Secret Garden papers. I cut out more sayings than I ended up using, figuring I will save the rest for a Graduation scrapbook page.
  • I chose a card size of 5 inches high by 6 1/2 inches wide since this size fits well in envelopes. To make the tri fold card base, I cut two 5 inch strips from generic white cardstock and scored them at 6 1/2 inches. 
  • I trimmed the flaps unevenly so the left flap is 4 1/2 inches and the right flap is 3 1/2 inches. 
  • Next, I cut pieces of the chevron patterns from the back of Secret Gardens 105 (blue) and 102 (red) to fit the various faces of the card.
  • The blue card face shown below is cut from Secret Garden 105 with a strip from Secret Garden 100. I fussy cut the pennant around the pattern of the chevron paper. This is a very easy way to cut a balanced pennant shape. 
  • I decided to mat a couple of sayings in the blue from leftover pieces of Secret Garden 105 that were sitting on my table. 
  • Next I moved all the pieces around until I decided on an arrangement. I inked around the outside edges of all the papers the card with Deep Sea PowderPuff Chalk ink. The sayings are edged with PowderPuff chalk ink in either Cactus or Deep Sea. 
  • I added a small piece of white cardstock (with Deep Sea ink around the edges) where we can hand write a personal message later. 


Here is the inside of the card:



Finally I had to decide which saying to put on the front. I used a clear block to hold the card closed and looked at it with each of my 2 options. I preferred the look of the orange saying, but in the end I decided that the blue one "You were made for amazing things" was what I actually wanted to say. I added a scrap of white cardstock behind the flap to make it a bit stronger. 




Quick Quotes Products:
Secret Garden 100, 102, 105 (Coming soon)
Farmhouse 500
PowderPuff Chalk inks: Deep Sea, Cactus

Other products:
Generic white cardstock

Thanks for stopping by!
~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment